In the SAP S/4HANA system, the PP/DS functionality isn’t activated in the standard delivered software.
Explicit activation of the PP/DS functionality is done in the configuration in the SAP S/4HANA system. Certain SAP Fiori apps that are relevant to the PP/DS functionality are usable only within the activation of PP/DS.
Activating PP/DS will enable all advanced planning features as well as the following SAP Fiori apps:
- Monitor Capacity Utilization
- Production Scheduling Board
- Create Optimal Order for Shipment
There are technical prerequisites for activating PP/DS in the SAP S/4HANA system, and we’ll cover them at a high level as these activities are related to the installation of the SAP liveCache application software and setting up the database to enable the SAP liveCache connections.
The technical prerequisites are as follows:
- Installation of SAP liveCache in the SAP HANA database
- Creation of SAP liveCache connections and enabled execution of SAP liveCache procedures
- Execution of initialization report /SAPAPO/OM_LIVECACHE_SETUP_S4H or reports SLCA_INIT_FOLLOW_UP and /SAPAPO/OM_CREATE_LC_TABLES to prepare the SAP liveCache and create all the required database tables
- Setup of the remote function call (RFC) connection for all the clients in the SAP S/4HANA system that are relevant for SAP liveCache
After the technical prerequisites are performed, execute Transaction /SAPAPO/OM13 to do a basic health check on SAP liveCache. As shown in the figure below, the Checks tab shows the result of the individual checks, and the information on the warnings and errors can be displayed by clicking on the information button next to them. When you execute Transaction /SAPAPO/OM03 in the system to test the SAP liveCache, you should see a success message.
The next step is to activate PP/DS in Customizing. To perform this, execute Transaction SPRO, and then follow the menu path, SAP Customizing Implementation Guide > Advanced Planning > Basic Settings > Activate Advanced Planning and Scheduling > Activate Advanced Planning and Scheduling.
As shown below, select the Activate Advanced Planning and Scheduling checkbox, and click the Save button. This will complete the activation of the PP/DS advanced planning features in the SAP S/4HANA system.
Editor’s note: This post has been adapted from a section of the book PP/DS with SAP S/4HANA by Mahesh Babu MG.